Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Austin, You Big Spender, You.

 Long Center for the Performing Arts

As a native Austinite, I never hesitate to proudly boast my appreciation for living in Austin, the Live Music Capital of the World. However, I do sometimes think twice before using that composition of words, simply because I'm not sure that's always the case. I know what you're thinking: As if events like SXSW and ACL didn't already prove that.

But today, I proudly say: The Live Music Capital of the World.

Why? Because despite the troubled economy, the Long Center for the Performing Arts has pumped $43 million back into the local economy since its opening in March 2008. It's not uncommon for a venue to generate a lot of money, but to give millions back... Well, that's a rarity.

In their Economic Impact Study Report released today, the Long Center states how much they made and spent in the last year. Not surprisingly, it supported 950 part-time and full-time employees. And chances are you helped generate that income. Thus, helping create an economic boost. Go ahead, Austin, give yourself a pat on the back. You deserve it!

No comments:

Post a Comment